Commencement was so long but highschool is finally done with so here we go with my recap of this whole project.
When Mr.Wong came up to me and suggested that I make a game for the android OS I said, ” Sure, why not?.” This was probably like taking someone with no driving experience, putting them in a car and saying okay now go and race in the Indy 500. Honestly had I known how difficult it was from the start I probably would have chosen something else but then again, got to live up to Mr. Wong’s high expectations plus it was a good challange.
Going into this the only thing I knew was that okay games are made in Java so I’m probably going to use Netbeans to make this game, so then I fiddeled around for a good day when I realised Eclipse was the way to go so I made the switch over. Once I had it finally set up and the emulator working that felt like such an accomplishment little did I know the emulator is difficult for real time apps and for that alone I would never ever ever make an app from scratch like this using only the emulator; it’s just way too difficult and you’re better off with the hardware. I thought about it and I could have saved atleast 1/2 of my time if I just had a phone, not having the accelerometer and having to emulate that and then the laggyness of the emulator itself was just horrible. The only time the emulator would be fine is just making an app, a real-time game however is just a huge no-no.
So much of my time was spent just learning. Pretty much, I would go look at tutorials and sample games and just see how to do it. The programming part itself wasn’t anythign knew, that’s what I’m good at it was just finding out okay so what is an activity and how do I use it. Having made a Breakout game for the computer using java in the past I literally took the class I made for the Ball and the Player and copied and pasted them right into my DodgeEm game so that saved me some time. From there it was just piecing stuff I was learning together as I went along.
I still have many more ideas for this game so who knows, maybe one boring summer day and you’ll see a version 2.1.
After all the sleepless nights and working out problematic bugs it’s finally over. I still plan on updating it but for now, it’s fine the way it is. I’ll post a more through blogpost tomorrow describing everything from start to finish but for now I have to catch up on some sleep.
4am blog post. wsup den
From my code there you can see how I calculate the player movement by getting the distance to the destination from the current position as a percent. I was going at it for a solid 2 hours and I couldn’t figure out why my movement wasn’t working so I tried absolute values and if statements but it turns out it was retriving the numbers as integers so intead of getting the .07656441 i needed it returned 0. Stupid mistake that wasted my time, I should’ve used float instead of integers from the start.
Got a menu done with some horribly made graphics. It would be better if I just worked with someone who was actually creative so I only had to do the coding but oh well. i’ll probably leave the menu liek this as I can’t think of anything else to add. All that’s left now is to finish up the gameplay and make graphics for that.
It has been a while since I’ve worked on my game. Too many other projects to finish up before I can actually get time to work on this one. Tomorrow I will have my flash game done so hopefully I can get it done for mid next week so it doesn’t get in the way of studying for finals.