So Posterous decided to throw in the towel; not sure why Twitter would decide to acquire them only to give it the axe a year later but such is life. Anyways, here we find ourselves at WordPress, the only thing I’ve done so far is just import over my backups so it’s going to look pretty ugly for a while.
Please don’t go anywhere WordPress, thanks.
So it’s midterm/final time so there hasn’t been any progress lately, dectection really needs to be fixed, I might just try using connected component labelling and retrieving areas although I can see an immediate problem bring if there isn’t a silent area around the maze it could just grab random large blobs.
Also I posted back on Oct31 a way to increase the speed was switching from using the get method of the matrix to just storing it in a integer array. After a class in CMPT 250 I realized that the reason the speed could’ve increase was because the get and set method could have been “thrashing my cache”.
Update Sept 17: 2013 So pretty much you just should never use an objects method for accessing data in my case using the put and get functions of the OpenCV Mat object to access individual pixel values. Rather converting it to some primitive data type or into a Bytebuffer will be many many times faster and more efficient. Function calls are bad!
So it’s christmas break and after no lifeing university finals I got bored and dug up the ‘ol DodgeEm. Changed it up and went for a free aproach but included ads, proudest 9 cents I’ve ever made in my life. I probably owe Mr.Wong a dollar.
I accidently lost the private key so I couldn’t sign it and upload a new version but after searching for 1 hour I found it but then forgot the password to the key… after another 15 min of guessing finally got it. So a few bugfixes and versions later we have a beautiful working 5.0.
If you haven’t got the game because you didn’t want to pay a dollar, it’s FREE now so you have no excuses left, sorry. Go download it here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jyap.DodgeEm
Commencement was so long but highschool is finally done with so here we go with my recap of this whole project.
When Mr.Wong came up to me and suggested that I make a game for the android OS I said, ” Sure, why not?.” This was probably like taking someone with no driving experience, putting them in a car and saying okay now go and race in the Indy 500. Honestly had I known how difficult it was from the start I probably would have chosen something else but then again, got to live up to Mr. Wong’s high expectations plus it was a good challange.
Going into this the only thing I knew was that okay games are made in Java so I’m probably going to use Netbeans to make this game, so then I fiddeled around for a good day when I realised Eclipse was the way to go so I made the switch over. Once I had it finally set up and the emulator working that felt like such an accomplishment little did I know the emulator is difficult for real time apps and for that alone I would never ever ever make an app from scratch like this using only the emulator; it’s just way too difficult and you’re better off with the hardware. I thought about it and I could have saved atleast 1/2 of my time if I just had a phone, not having the accelerometer and having to emulate that and then the laggyness of the emulator itself was just horrible. The only time the emulator would be fine is just making an app, a real-time game however is just a huge no-no.
So much of my time was spent just learning. Pretty much, I would go look at tutorials and sample games and just see how to do it. The programming part itself wasn’t anythign knew, that’s what I’m good at it was just finding out okay so what is an activity and how do I use it. Having made a Breakout game for the computer using java in the past I literally took the class I made for the Ball and the Player and copied and pasted them right into my DodgeEm game so that saved me some time. From there it was just piecing stuff I was learning together as I went along.
I still have many more ideas for this game so who knows, maybe one boring summer day and you’ll see a version 2.1.
After all the sleepless nights and working out problematic bugs it’s finally over. I still plan on updating it but for now, it’s fine the way it is. I’ll post a more through blogpost tomorrow describing everything from start to finish but for now I have to catch up on some sleep.
4am blog post. wsup den
From my code there you can see how I calculate the player movement by getting the distance to the destination from the current position as a percent. I was going at it for a solid 2 hours and I couldn’t figure out why my movement wasn’t working so I tried absolute values and if statements but it turns out it was retriving the numbers as integers so intead of getting the .07656441 i needed it returned 0. Stupid mistake that wasted my time, I should’ve used float instead of integers from the start.